FLIP blog

This web-log will serve as an ongoing commentary on the trials and tribulations faced by a young filmmaker as he tries to complete a short film.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Acting!

I've been having a lot of fun playing Jennifer. She's sneaky and manipulative, which is very interesting to play. She also truly cares about Aldo, and thinks that she's doing the right thing for the both of them. Jennifer is definitely a unique character and very different from all of the other characters I've previously portrayed.

Today we shot a very emotionally intense scene. I had to be very upset/distraught. Now, I don't like to cry in front of people. Unfortunately for me, I'm not an actress that can produce tears at the drop of the hat. I have to work up to it. I have some emotional blocks on the things that upset me, and I've been quite happy/content in life for the past two years or so. To get into the mood, I did a number of things. I listened to sad, angry music while reading unpleasant e-mails from old boyfriends(I keep almost ALL of my e-mails). I thought about when my dad passed away. I thought about my diabetic cat that died a week ago. I thought about how I would feel if this was all happening to me. Therefore, I spent most of the day rather depressed, but it worked to get the emotional connection that I wanted. Meh.

We shot in the bathroom, so Carleton put down a furney pad and filled the tub with pillows to cut down on sound reflection. The floor of the bathroom is cold, hard marbley tile, so I got to sit on a pillow. Geoff stood in the tub with the boom mike while Jarrod waited outside the locked bathroom door for us to start. Before each take, I had to take a minute or so to get into the right mindset. As the scene progresses, I go from being sad to happy, so I have re-sadden myself each time.

I'm very pleased with the acting on both of our parts in this scene. It helps that Jarrod is a good actor, and I can work off of his energy. I've truly been enjoying this experience, and I'm very glad that everything has been going so well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home